Wednesday, November 17, 2004

We respond to a Big Yawn defender

I think it's worth pointing out, that it's not that Big Yawn somehow angers me. I think they suck, but that doesn't make my teeth white-hot with rage. Indeed, if they improved their website, it'd be pretty jackassy of me to not acknowledge it and offer them praise. Perhaps I could start by saying: I like "Insomniacs Rejoice". That's THE ONLY thing I like, but I like that.

I was wrong about one thing when I originally posted this. The anger you sense in what's to follow isn't really because of philosophical disputes with another website. The anger is because this %#$* accuses me of intellectual dishonesty, and presents a cavalcade of misleading and fatuous evidence as the basis for argument. There are all sorts of things I'm willing to forgive or let pass by, but in this case, the full fury has been provoked.

At 11/17/2004, Anonymous said...
Let's at least get the facts right, the complete quotes you were so happy to take out of context to put yourself more in the right were:


"We are less than one year old... and are still growing and learning. When one of you takes the time and money out of your life to run a site like this, let's talk. Until then, by all means criticize or praise us, I don't give a fuck. But don't for a second think you know any better than us."

and

"Don't we have enough crankiness in this town? Really. Also, creatively sarcastic or commentary is cool, but I don't need someone's ego to sound "hip" to overshadow a review."

Not exactly what you were saying. Plus, the latter quote was from someone who doesn't even write for BigYawn. Awesome job on the facts there DCeiver. You think everyone on the 930 board is a BYer just cause they called you out? Good job at the ignorance thing, I think even BY would give you a 9.0 for that.

At 11/17/2004, Anonymous said...

And while we're at it, you might as well give the full quote for BY's mention of TVOTR in their Shortlist handicapping:"I think if the world worked perfectly, these fellas from NYC would walk away with the Shorty. (You heard me, the Shorty) But the world doesn't work that way. This is truely a groundbreaking album that has gone way too unnoticed. Yeah, most of you reading this probably have it, but not enough of your friends do. I think just being nominated will do wonders for these guys. Still, they have a shot, depending on the way the wind is blowing.Odds: 4-1 "

I'd be only too happy to address the points made by this dimwit, jackass, fool.

DJF states:
Let's at least get the facts right, the complete quotes you were so happy to take out of context to put yourself more in the right were:

[DJF continues] "We are less than one year old... and are still growing and learning. When one of you takes the time and money out of your life to run a site like this, let's talk. Until then, by all means criticize or praise us, I don't give a fuck. But don't for a second think you know any better than us." [end quote]

I fail to see how including the rest of the quote provides any better context for the statement "Don't for a second think you know any better than us." If ANYTHING, not quoting it did Big Yawn a favor, because it provided them some cover for their obnoxious and contradictory statement: you'd think someone that admits to being a year-old, still "growing and learning" would have the fucking perspective to not tell someone "Don't for a second think you know any better than us." I think it's the height of churlishness to, on one hand, plead for a break because you're new to this, while in the same breath giving me shit. But since you seem to want to dig their own fucking grave, you tiresome milquetoast, I happily submit their entire comment into the record.

As for the second point of contention, that I have somehow demonstrated a certain degree of "ignorance" for assuming that the response, on the 9:30 Forum, of someone anonymously posing under the pseudonym "Sugartastic Tee Silk" was an authorized member of Big Yawn who was speaking on behalf of Big Yawn--despite the fact that said "Sugartastic Tee Silk" was, by all appearances, responding directly to suggestions in my blog that I made directly to Big Yawn (and the fact that you just OMIT this fact is demonstrative of your own fatuousness)--has nothing at all to do with me being ignorant and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that I am NOT A FUCKING MINDREADER you great big stupid cockknocking dolt! And none of it changes the fact that Big Yawn is an ego-free, bland-by-consensus, lacking in aesthetic POV, boring ass website that resolutely fails to distinguish itself from any other website (except possibly in the crybaby monotone simpering of its writers and editors whenever someone bags on them.)

Finally, in your attempt to make the point that I somehow misled my readers or misquoted BY w/r/t what BY said in its entirety w/r/t TV On The Radio, I say, open my post, you great crushing moron, and CLICK on the SECOND LINK in the THIRD PARAGRAPH and lo and behold! BY's entire fucking blah-blah on the Shortlist Award magically fucking appears! In my post, I also quoted, correctly, their entire summative paragraph as well as their contention that TV On The Radio had "a shot, depending on the way the wind is blowing" which I thought was a MORE THAN ADEQUATE allowance on my part that Big Yawn gave themselves an out and offered the caveat that maybe, just maybe, TVoTR would win the award.

The only thing I omitted that was at all germane to this discussion (and, as I stated above, linked to ANYWAY) was the first sentence in your paragraph about TVoTR's chances, "I think if the world worked perfectly, these fellas from NYC would walk away with the Shorty." At least that seems to be the bee buzzing away in your teeny, WEENY head of yours. Well, we offer the following CORRECTION:

"The DCeiver would like to state that at the time of their posting, Big Yawn wrote that '...if the world worked perfectly, these fellas from NYC would walk away with the Shorty,' offering their readers yet another cliched, shop-worn, half-assed, caveat in their entry that I, perhaps owing to a subconscious welling of great pity, failed to include in my indictment. For some reason, a Big Yawn defender wanted still more attention called to the fact that they are pathologically averse and incapable of taking a stand on anything whatsoever. The DCeiver has absolutely no regrets whatsoever, in including yet another piece of failing-to-be-exculpatory evidence in my case against these great big asshatters."

Do not even try to dance with me, dude. Do not even step on the floor.

If BY wants to shut me the hell up, indeed, if they want me to even come out, and publicly state: "All right! Big Yawn totally rules!" then they have the power in their hands to make it happen.

And all they have to do is one little thing:

Make the content not suck ass.

In the meantime, you and they should please, please, please stop hurting the internet. What did it do to deserve it?

4 comments:

The Deceiver said...

I would only add the words of Clutch to my post:

Big Yawn Proxy? Your style's like a garbage can. It's meant to be taken out on a weekly basis.

Pity. Simply writing that would have saved me some time!

"Oh, but I digress,
You play sorry, I play chess.
Queen to B3, checkmate,
Go get some percocets!"

Anonymous said...

I didn't write anything on the 930 board, and am merely a lowly writer at BigYawn. Your gross generalizations are again false. I really don't get you, and I'm sure it would take a 6 year psychology degree from Gtown to get you, and that's not worth it.

It's nice you have a cause I suppose, to wrag on BigYawn whenever possible. While I know you piss off the powers that be at BY, you also inevitably bring them a lot of traffic. Traffic that oddly enough, comes back. Perhaps it's to see what the horrible website is up to, or perhaps they are mindless pathetic imbeciles who actually find some use for something on the site. I kinda feel bad in a way, cause I know how hard some of those guys at BY work. But in the end, whether or not anyone cares about BY, I feel comforted that the more you hate and rant about a website just trying to stimulate folks -- and nothing else -- the more your readers realize you are an ass.

With a million other sites to trash, for some reason you choose BigYawn. Maybe they aren't as awesome as your fantastic shrine to intelligence, or even as awesome a local music site as you think they should be. I'm pretty sure they also never claiming to be anything more than some folks trying to change something. Maybe they are failing, but what's up with you so vicously attacking them? What did they do to piss you off? Look in the mirror man, you've got some sort of fucked up OCD or something. I know BY just ignores you, maybe I should too. You are one sick fuck.

Anonymous said...

Um... frankly, this is getting really boring. Your point has been made (repeatedly). BigYawn has, I'm sure, gotten all of the traffic they can possibly ask for. Can we move on?

Being opinionated (even seemingly crazily so) is what gets you read in the blogosphere, so kudos to you for taking a tough stand on a well-intentioned but kinda amateurish website. At this point, I am POSITIVE that anybody who even slightly cares has absorbed your wisdom (and that of your opponents) on the matter. So let's be done with it already.

Thanks.

The Deceiver said...

Agreed. I would not have felt like adding much more to the discussion, but a poster called me out as far as being intellectually dishonest. My core academic beliefs have always guided me to do the necessary things to ensure honesty in citation and context, and being accused of that sort of (ironically enough) deception brought out my flamethrower. I have appended a disclaimer on this original post for that reason.

In the meantime, yes. I'm done with the BYers. Hopefully, the next time I mention them it will because they have become better. However, I reserve the right to speak negatively about them if their website degrades in any way--for instance, adding a weekly holocaust revisionism column.