Thursday, April 14, 2005

Misadventures by Taxi

Took a cab over to 1201 New York Avenue, NW today. Owing to my neurosis, where I cannot be anywhere without having something to read, The DCeiver ended up drifting off in an Entertainment Weekly. By the time I looked up, it was too late. We were on New York Avenue--that was the good news--but we were crossing 9th and headed east.

THE DCEIVER: Ummm. Hey. Aren't we a little east of where we're going?

HACK: 1201 New York Avenue northwest?

THE DCEIVER: That's right. [7th street now looms in the distance]

HACK: This isn't the right way?

THE DCEIVER: Well, I'm drawing on some valuable life experience that tells me that 12th street is west of here.

HACK: Okay. Sorry. [He bangs a U and proceeds slowly back along NY Avenue, then inexplicably turns right]

THE DCEIVER: Now we're headed north in the wrong direction.

HACK: (uncertain) Uhhh...sir, do you know how to get--

THE DCEIVER: (interrupting) Okay. Stop the car. Stop it now.

Luckily, it was a lovely day for a walk, and 1201 New York Avenue was right where I had left it.

No comments: