Let it be known that hours before the Virginia Cavaliers laced it up against the Tar Holes, yours truly guaranteed a Wahoo victory, as Paul Kamran, Kage Leafblower, Oh Mandy Mattos and RavenT as my witnesses! Oracular. Spectacular. I was dispensing pharmaceutical prophesies like I was Steve Bowes! And like the lark at break of day arises, so did Sean Singletary, Mikafreakalauskas and the rest of the Children of Cain rise up to send The Durst Noel and his chump crew of guard-forwards and forward-guards back to North Cackalak beaten down and abused for being laaaame. Can I get a Leit-OWW up in here? Has one of the many corners UVA Basketball needs to turn been turned?
It all went down at CueBar, site of our DCist Happy Hour, where neighborhoodie-clad, I repped my people down on Jefferson Park Avenue with force. Because Miss Seeking Irony was felled by strep throat, I had the honor and the privilege of joining the esteemed Mr. Leafblower in the DJ booth, where a nearby plasma screen showing off orange and blue glory unfolding afforded me the opportunity to point and get my gloat on.
I'm not schooled in the habit of recording my musical exploits in the painstaking, inkwell monks at the Library of Alexandria stizz of the Bluestate crew, but my sets consisted mainly of:
- Pulp, "Common People"*
- Jay-Z vs. the White Stripes, "The Doorbell Encore"
- Georgie James, "Cheap Champagne"
- Archers of Loaf, "Nevermind the Enemy"
- Buffalo Tom, "Staples"
- Rachid Taha, "Rock el Casbah"
- Maximo Park, "Apply Some Pressure"
- Kelly Clarkson vs. Frank Black, "Since U Aint Me"
- The New Pornographers, "Use It"
- Bravery, "Fearless"
- Ted Leo/Pharmacists, "The Ballad of the Sin Eater"
- Beck, "E-Pro"
- Hollertonix, "Tippin' Toxic"
- The Hold Steady, "Your Little Hoodrat Friend"**
- Crazy Girl, "Kick Your Booty"***
- Morningwood, "Nth Degree"
- De Novo Dahl, "Jeffrey"****
- Franz Ferdinand, "Take Me Out [Daft Punk Remix]"
- Kaiser Chiefs, "I Predict a Riot"
- Robbers On High Street, "Japanese Girls"
- Kanye West, "Testify"
- Spoon, "The Two Sides of Monsieur Valentine"
- We Are Scientists, "Nobody Move, Nobody Gets Hurt"
- M.I.A., "Galang"
*Dedicated to my people holding it down on the minimum wage.
**Dedicated to GogBlah Collective
***Dedicated to those kids from Chapel Nil.
****Dedicated to the lead singer's wife, Vivian, and all his children--Juan(?), Karen and Jeffrey--who he never meant to take for granted.