Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Agenda@Cuebar

Last night, Natalya and I DJed the evening away at Cuebar as I filled in for the vacationing Leafblower.

Agenda-izing was a lot of fun. The people that run and work at Cuebar are all really nice, it was fun to hang with Natalya, and watch all the NCAA action. Cuebar is drawing a nice, diverse crowd and I was really thankful that I was somewhere on St. Padraig's Day that wasn't devolving into the usual Amateur Night shenanigans. Outside of two bro-ish types who had gotten badly lost on the way to McFaddens, one of whom wore muttonchops, the other incongruously requesting Bruce Springsteen (and, hey, I like to chill out and listen to Nebraska as much as the next guy, but a) you're in Cuebar and b) I want the owner to pay me, and getting paid, on some level, involves convincing the person with the money that you haven't lost your mind), that is. We rebuffed them with politeness they didn't deserve and they soon departed. The rest of the commenters/requesters were totally positive. As for our hackysacking friends, I think Natalya and I summed it up perfectly in conversation:

Natalya: They guy had muttonchops! I can't listen to anyone with muttonchops.

Me: Unless they're a historical re-enacter. Then you had better pay attention.

My sets were:

Stars, "Elevator Love Letter"
Le Tigre, "TKO"
Jay-Z vs. the White Stripes, "The Doorbell Encore"
Dan Bern, "Tiger Woods"
Rihanna, "SOS (Rescue Me)"
The Strokes, "You Only Live Once"
Tegan and Sarah vs. Mylo, "Walking With A Ghost In Paris"
The Killers, "Mr. Brightside (Thin White Duke Remix)"
The Spinto Band, "Oh, Mandy"
Pulp, "Common People"
Maximo Park, "Apply Some Pressure"
The Sounds, "Painted By Numbers"

Annie, "Me Plus One (James Iha Remix)"
Bloc Party, "Banquet (Phones Disco Edit)"
Bravery vs. New Order, "Honest Monday"
LCD Soundsystem, "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House"
Crazy Girl, "Kick Yo Booty"
Ninja High School, "It's All Right To Fight"
Fugazi vs. Destiny's Child, "Independent Waiting Room"
M.I.A., "Bucky Done Gun"
Mia, "Heroes"*
Kaiser Chiefs, "I Predict a Riot"
The Caesars, "Jerk It Out"
Blur, "M.O.R."
Arctic Monkeys, "Dancing Shoes"
Julian Cope, "East Easy Rider"
Kasabian, "Club Foot"

Cibo Matto, "Sci-Fi Wasabi"
Mike Doughty, "Busting Up A Starbucks"
Scritti Politti, "Smith and Slappy"
Nellie McKay, "David"**
Johnny Boy, "You Are The Generation That Bought More Shoes And You Get What You Deserve"
Ride, "Vapour Trail"
The Cardigans, "I Need Some Fine Wine, And You, You Need To Be Nicer"
The Arcade Fire, "Neighborhood #1 (Tunnels)
Giant Drag, "This Isn't It"
Mylo, "In My Arms"
Doves, "Black and White Town (Dave Holmes Remix)"
Arthur Russell, "Is It All Over My Face?"
The Postal Service, "We Will Become Silhouettes"
The Strokes, "Ask Me Anything"

*Mia is not to be confused with M.I.A. Mia is some German electropop singer whose cover of this David Bowie song is burning up my iTunes. I think you can see the little four song DJ "pun" I was amusing myself with at that point in the night, though.
*"David" was a mistake. A keystroke error, for all intents and purposes. But it went over very well, so I'll chalk it up to kismet.


nm said...

Thanks again for DJing with me!

Tony said...

So where can I find Mia and her DB cover?