Very eventful week, and it's too bad I've felt so under the weather here at the end of it. Alex and I had another fun day today, and this time we weren't slowed by any sort of epic Gawker outage. Hope you guys got out in the beautiful weather.
- Hey. UVA finally won an ACC tournament game! Suddenly I'm totally glad the conference sold out and added all those teams. Suck it, Virginia Tech! The guys are putting up a valiant fight against the Tarheels--our D is straight-up all OVER Taylor Handjob. But man, we're gonna lose...we need some more offensive players on this team. Diane should NEVER be jacking threes unless it's the last five seconds of a game against Longwood. It's all Singletary and Reynolds right now, and you can tell how flat-out tired they are.
- Car is not starting. Gotta wait ten minutes or something like that. Starter...battery...I don't know. Got no time to deal with it.
- I should have maybe told everyone about this in...you know...ADVANCE, so you could have heard it, but I was interviewed by a radio show called The Young Turks, who wanted to know more about this. I'm not sure when they'll have the March 9 show posted, but if you've got a dollar laying around not contributing to your personal microeconomy, you can spend it and listen. I come in about an hour and forty-five minutes into it, I think. If you want to give it a pass, that's yr biz. Just assume I was brilliant, 'cause I totally was.
- Okay...here's the difference between how you feel when you lose to UNC versus how you feel when you lose to Duke. When you lose to UNC, it's because guys like Rayshawn Terry make INCREDIBLE shots like that dangling-in-the-air layup. When you lose to Duke, it's because the fucking ref didn't start the clock when Wojo inbounded the ball or they just let one of their players assault you when you're going up for a shot. OH WELL. Redick is great, but he'll never be as loved as that autistic kid who jacked those six threes in garbage time. They are going to make a movie about that kid. Ang Lee will fuckin' direct it. Redick can buy a ticket.
- Speaking of: congrats Ang Lee! First NON-HONKY to win Best Director!
- Also, mad thanks to Rachel Sklar! She sent the South Dakota strategy piece to Salon's Broadsheet, and while I don't think I ultimately managed to convince Farhad Manjoo, he gave it a pretty fair hearing, so respect. Shayna'll be happy that her legal architecture withstood the scrutiny of Tim Grieve. We did it man! You're the best lawyer I ever sort of retained!
- Also shocking: no woman has EVER even been NOMINATED for Best Cinematographer! Is DOP-land some sort of sausage factory or what?
- The Mai, Wife of DCeiver's directorial debut, is straight blowin' up--like I done said it would. Peep some love from the WaPo!
Oh well. Gonna try to sleep the sick away. Later: Delaware. So, Bluestate and Martin, sorry that I won't be seeing you. Kanishka, you be careful in Islamabad. Expect Wonketry through Wednesday with only light DCeption. I may find a quiet place to do nothing Thursday. Friday I'll be filling in for Kyle in support of he and Natalya's Agenda.
Finally, one last bit of conversational goodness.
"Besides, fucking Biz Markie is THE SHIT. I want him at MY FUNDRAISER."
"Tell me about it. His job is his credit."
"Actually...Biz Markie gives me an idea..."
"BEST SENTENCE EVER!"
"Actually there's one that's better: 'Biz Markie is in the next room, making pancakes.'"