Thursday, March 23, 2006

Washington Post: The Reddening.

So, a whole lot of people have upchucked into their tizzyhole over the Washington Post's recent addition to their mini-blog empire: Ben Domenech of the newly minted Red America (which has already exceeded it's bandwidth somehow). Apparently--and I say apparently only because, again, somehow, bandwidth has been exceeded--the raison d'etre of the blog is to provide some sort of baseline understanding of the already well-worn turns of phrase of the right-wing loonypoon blogosphere while simultaneously training Washingtonians in the arts of understanding what makes someone from a "Red State" tick. I guess. That's what I'm told. Bandwidthcakes, yada yada.

Personally we don't see what the big deal is. You know right now that Ben is going to have no trouble exceeding the quality of writing offered by those Heroes to the Unadventurous known as the Going Out Gurus, who persist in the face of total irrelevance to triple-seal area culture for maximum safety. Is it possible to be later than a "late adopter?" In our lifetime, the GOGs will find this out for us. And we will dully intone, "Meh."

But, back to Ben. Apparently a lot of people are tripping at the ostensible, yet unstated purpose of his blog, which is to provide "balance" to Dan Froomkin's WaPo blog. Now, to me, this is indeed a perfect universe, for what better way to balance one blog I don't deign to read than with a second one! Keep adding zeroes, I say. But, from what I know of Mr. Froomkin, he is a) probably only really picking the shots he's offered--it's not his problem that the GOP controls everything in town and b) he is most likely more than ably balanced by the Op-Ed page of the Washington Post, a reliably right-leaning playground.

Other are dishing on Domenech's background, which includes a healthy dose of homeschooling and the concomitant social awkwardness that follows in its wake. Wonkette has the eyewitness account today, and yeah, it's a hilarious read, but for my money, Domenech's got nothing on Michael Scanlon, whose adolescent freakery is not to be believed. Let me put it this way: in my lifetime, I've had resumes land on my desk from people who's educational background carry the Domenechian red flags--the home schooling, a Bob Jones or an Ave Maria or a Patrick Henry--and they all went right where they belong: the yawning, cylindrical receptacle near my feet. They used to go on file with the marks from a custom made stamp that read: "Unfit for Real World Duties", but over time, I determined that this was an intolerable waste of ink. Still...it's the Scanlons that get through the process and get hired and end up bringing down your whole operation.

Look. He at least hates Michael Irvin. Okay. So he's not all bad. If we can find gainful employment of this sort of nature for Domenech, then I'm all for it. The only thing I'd tell the Washington Post is this: Guys, the next time you decide to throw an affirmative action bakesale, give me a call--I make a mean Sachertorte.

2 comments:

Christah said...

"I've had resumes land on my desk from people who's educational background carry the Domenechian red flags--the home schooling, a Bob Jones or an Ave Maria or a Patrick Henry--and they all went right where they belong: the yawning, cylindrical receptacle near my feet."

That's really unfortunate. Most homeschoolers didn't choose to be homeschooled. And some of us have more than made up for our cloistered upbringing (those of us who even had one. Not all homeschoolers are conservative nutjobs--the nutjobs just hijacked the practice). It's nice to know that you're contributing to the stereotype that we're all to be judged by who our parents are.

PK said...

When the bandwidth returns, please go read Domenech and let us know if you stand by your assertion that he can't be worse than the GOGs. I'm not so sure myself, after reading his first few "posts".

I mean, think about it this way: If you follow his advice, Domenech will actually make you stupider. (For instance, in the first few posts, we learned that Red-Staters all know the movie "Red Dawn" by heart, and that generally doctors are not to be trusted as they love killing children.)

The GOGs will, at worst, make you socially inept, but also drunk; but the drinking should make up for the ineptitude, and you can sober up the next morning.