Friday, August 18, 2006

Rorschachiana

Hey peoples. Over at Rorschach, we have ended our sixth season and are gearing up for the announcement of our seventh season, which will probably happen whilst I am on my hiatus next week. Oh--plus we are apparently doing something at the Page To Stage Festival, but I do not know if that was supposed to be a play that is still being written or if it's Grady Weatherford's seminal drama Frank Lloyd Wright is... or if it's just a mistake. Again. Our last "meeting?" Like, OCTOBER. We get by on rumor and sigh. But, we get by pretty nicely. I'm the ad hoc Vice Chair of the Why Not Hire Shirley Serotsky? I Met Her and She Was Really Super Nice and Everything Subcommittee, myself.

Anyhoo, the aforementioned Grady has a play in the Hatchery Festival that he is directing called The Woodpecker. How to describe it? Well, it's scabrous, mean-spirited, profane, cynical, stuffed to the brim with vulgarity, brutal in its depiction of people who are beyond redemption, and it outright takes a shit on many things that ordinary people hold dear. Oh, yeah--it's also HILARIOUS AS HELL, and I loooooved every single minute of it. And the text has been recently updated to include a couple mentions of George Allen's new favorite word.

Go see The Woodpecker, by Brett Williams. At the DCAC, 7:30pm Fri/Sat/Sun, 3:00pm Sat/Sun.

Also, it's another "Best Bet"-esque piece of media frippery, but we'd appreciate your support in WUSA Channel 9's A-List competition. Currently, Rorschach is running in fourth place out of seventeen for Best Theatre in Washington DC. Everybody hit this link and cast your vote for the Schach! And once you are finished, maybe send WUSA an email letting them know that the error that they have made makes them look really really
really really really really really really really really stupid.

See if you can spot it:
Although, I greatly admired their production of King Kong last year, that show they did...Episode One: The Phantom Menace was SHIT ON TOAST.

Jesus Channel nine...you're KILLIN' me here!



2 comments:

SAS said...

Awwwwww, shucks!

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? Uptown is a theatre! My favorite show that I saw there was before seeing Sin City. I walked up to the "concessions stand" and interacted with the live action improv people they have there. My apologies to the playwright/actor as this is from memory but it went something like this:

Me: "Can I have a large popcorn, a twizzlers, and a large ... um ... coke."

Her: "Would you like butter with that?"

I mean, wow! I prefer art to mirror life and all, but that was the driest retort from a performer I'd ever heard. "Would you like butter with that?" She said it so naturally as if it was really her job, and yet I couldn't help but notice the languid yearning for something more in her voice. I was transported!

I think we are all too ready to assume that a few lights and some gaudy costumes and fake mustaches make a theatre company great, but I think it's really the acting and the environment and Uptown has that in spades. I was transported. They didn't even do a curtain call which further deepened the immersion.

And Sin City was awesome!

-marc spector, too lazy to log in.