Monday, July 30, 2007

The Audacity of Dopes: Finally, Something I Can Get Behind!

This is hardly surprising, but it looks like I would have liked young, drunk and stupid Hillary Clinton in the same way I probably would have liked young, drunk and stupid George W. Bush. As the rest of the world knows, both were likely as fine and as flawed people as anyone else until they started listening to whatever crazy fucking voices lived in their head (Read: Cheney, in the latter case) and became hectoring taskmasters who think everyone in America is some sort of idiot infant.

People are now getting to know Hillary through her Portrait of the Candidate as a Young and Disaffected Wellesley student (where she roomed with Grant Hill's mother! And maybe double dated with Al Gore and that dude from Reservoir Dogs using whatever lo-fi pre-Internet version of Facebook everyone used to have awkward life-killing sex back then (I know...not bloody likely, but we like to pretend because in Pretend Land fewer people are tortured for sport)) that's coming out in various letters. Here's a snatch (tee hee! Wellesley!) that I read on Wonkette:

“Can you be a misanthrope and still love or enjoy some individuals?” Ms. Rodham wrote in an April 1967 letter. “How about a compassionate misanthrope?”
OMG! Yes! Compassionate misanthropy! Jesus! It appears that no matter how may want to deny it, there actually was a moment in time when Hillary Clinton totally got me! I'm not at all confident that this is going anywhere, but if Hill throws her funbags (tee hee! Robin Givhan!) behind a message of "compassionate misanthropy," I shall have no choice but to send her campaign a shiny Sacajewea dollar!

Not to worry though: I'll have shoved it up my ass prior to mailing! The ass-pennies are turning!

1 comment:

Jay said...

Ha! Brilliant UCB reference. They're playing here in Chicago this week.