Thursday, August 30, 2007

Ensuring the Inevitable.

Here's what I don't get. The looming problem that any Iraq withdrawal scenario has to account for is that once we've quit the scene, the country will inevitably slip into a full-scale civil war. And if that were to happen, well, I guess people will feel really bad about it, and, I imagine the right will shame the left on the grounds that withdrawal created a humanitarian nightmare (you know, as if the right could give a shit about preventing humanitarian nightmares).

Well, even with that in mind, it's hard to fathom why--if it's agreed upon that civil war is a high percentage outcome of withdrawing our troops--we spent all that time ensuring the inevitable empowerment of the Shiite majority, only to now turn around and start arming the Sunni insurgents. It seems to be that if logic dictates that a civil war is unforstallable, the sensible strategy would be to pick who you want to win, arm them to the teeth, and then do whatever can be done to limit the other side's civil war-making capacity.

We're doing precisely the opposite. And, so, I have to wonder, is the idea then, to make withdrawal an increasingly impossible prospect by actively enhancing the possibility of civil war? Seems to me that the administration is bent on manufacturing a fait accompli, and no one has noticed.

2 comments:

abe said...

You got it, Toyota!

Bram Reichbaum said...

"And, so, I have to wonder, is the idea then, to make withdrawal an increasingly impossible prospect by actively enhancing the possibility of civil war? Seems to me that the administration is bent on manufacturing a fait accompli, and no one has noticed."

I did. Months ago. I can't produce any evidence, but trust me.

Meanwhile, and in light of your more recent post about the Iraq positions of the major Dem candidates, I really, REALLY want to see you endorse Joe Biden. Why wouldn't you?