Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Oh, the Places Life Takes You!

A confession: I'm a bit prone to taking a private moment, now and again, for philosophical reflection, and every once in a while--usually when I find myself up at some odd hour on an unfamiliar street, amid the company of particularly interesting people, or poised on the brink of some seminal episode of hijinks--I think to myself, "Wow. I could never have guessed ten years ago that I'd find myself here, today."

It's in this vein, that were I fortunate enough to run into Garance Franke-Ruta tomorrow, I would ask her if at any time in the past decade, she felt as if her life was leading, inevitably, to a moment that warranted her tracking down a case from the Idaho Court of Appeals that "ruled that (solo) masturbation within an enclosed restroom stall was constitutionally protected behavior as the individual within the stall had a reasonable expectation of privacy within the stall." And if her answer was no, I'd encourage her to just pause for a moment to bask in the perverse wonderment of the universe.

And, speaking of perverse wonderment, the case in question is, I shit you not, State v. Limberhand. You can look it up (117 Idaho 456, 788 P.2d 857 (Ct. App. 1990)).

That's just the best ever. What a heroic ruling! What a storied plaintiff! And, by the way, if the State ever thinks it wants to challenge my own limber hand, my message to them is: BRING IT, JERKS!

No comments: