Thursday, October 04, 2007

Con Ed



I've taken the liberty of RealityCatting a poster that's being disseminated by the Young America Foundation, the original of which reads, "No Education is Complete until it includes us." I'm not against this notion in toto, but trust me: Ann Coulter and Michelle Malkin are two people who have nothing to teach anyone.

Nevertheless, as I was educated in the Jeffersonian tradition, I hold that "no education is complete"...PERIOD. Nevertheless, I'd think twice before casting my lot with this baker's dozen of thinkers, whose contributions to civilization are quite paltry when placed against the sorts of personages who actually SHOULD be a part of a rounded education.

By comparsion, my education, for example, included Aeschylus, Apollinaire, Aristophanes, Aristotle, Artaud, Bacon, Beaumarchais, Beckett, Bentley, Boccacio, Brecht, Campion, Chaucer, Chekhov, Cicero, Cocteau, Congreve, Dante, Dennis, de Saint-Denis, de Stael, de Vega, Diderot, Dryden, Dumas fils, Eisenstein, Esslin, Euripides, Farquhar, Faulkner, Freud, Freytag, Frye, Garcia Lorca, Goethe, Gogol, Goldsmith, Gorky, Grotowski, Guarini, Hauptmann, Hazlitt, Hebbel, Hegel, Heywood, Horace, Hugo, Hume, Ibsen, Ionesco, Jonson, Jung, Kaiser, Kierkegaard, Kyd, Lawson, Lessing, Lillo, Locke, Lodge, Marx, Machiavelli, Marlowe, Mayakovsky, Miller, Milton, Moliere, Nietzsche, O'Neill, Pirandello, Plato, Poe, Pushkin, Racine, Rousseau, Schiller, Schopenhauer, Seneca, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheridan, Sophocles, St. Augustine, Strindberg, Tertullian, Tolstoy, Voltaire, von Schlegel, Webster, Whitman, Wilde, Wilder, Williams, Witkiewicz, Wycherley, Zola, among others.

So, I'm guessing that my poster full of people who built the world more than trumps the above poster filled with a donut's box worth of tourist ideologues who have the privilege of walking the earth my guys constructed. And I've been way more correct on the Iraq War than everyone in that poster combined. Did my superior education help? Well, it didn't hurt. So suck it, Young America Foundation.

13 comments:

UF Mike said...

What a bag of dicks! Looks like the docket of a future Nuremburg trials.

That said, you call yourself edumahcated? Where's E.M. Cioran on your list? Thomas Bernhard? Or Handsome Dick Manitoba, the man who popularized the word "edumahcation" in the first place?

The Deceiver said...

Ha! See! My education is NEVER complete. Cioran, has some essential intersection with Sam Beckett that's def worth exploring. Bernhard's such a fatalist! But, yeah, I've not read his plays.

Of course, both those guys would have had a better outlook if they'd simply lived for cars and girls.

Lx said...

cioran, yes.
and also...Eliade.

UF Mike said...

Don't forget Sopor! Love this blog, by the way, even if you did call me a douchebag!

The Deceiver said...

I regret having done so, because I've enjoyed UNREMITTING FAILURE since that post!

I have a funny feeling, though, that you are nuanced enough to have read that post correctly. Wink-wink!

UF Mike said...

Hey, if there's one thing writing that ill-fated Fugazi article did for me, it was turn me into the kind of masochist who positively enjoys being verbally abused in print.

Keep up the good work!

divine ms k said...

I believe that's properly termed "LOLcatting," though I could be mistaken...

KCinDC said...

It's not the Young America Foundation. That's the sort of name someone actually acquainted with the English language and the way foundation names are constructed might choose.

No, the real name is Young America's Foundation. Much, much stupider.

Anonymous said...

Wow, your education involves studying a LOT of white people. Impressive!

The Deceiver said...

Indeed, anonymous. The most effective way to change the world is to fully understand the imperfect way in which it was built. This is something that fans of academic fads fail to consider in their matriculation, and why they haven't amounted to much.

Anonymous said...

Ah, so to fully understand the imperfect way in which the world was built you must exclusively study the writings of white people. And to do otherwise is simply to embrace a fad. No wonder you've amounted to so much!

The Deceiver said...

Oooh. Spoken like someone who's only just now amounted to...ANONYMOUS BLOG COMMENTING!

Bitch, please. The authors I've named are a mere foundation. I have, of course, engaged in a shit ton of multicultural study as well. But everything has its beginnings. You may not like the way in which the world was composed, or the people who have composed it, but when you want to build an addition, or enact a tear down, you consult the architect.

But I shouldn't expect a niggling poo like you to understand. "Amount to much," that's rich. What drug store basement to you live in?

the Fiery Sword said...

Oh come now, DCeiver; surely you agree with the anonymous commenter's underlying point, i.e. that ne'er an idea was given credence but in the context of its author's ethnic derivation, right? I mean, if the theory of relativity had been advanced by aught but one of the chosen people of God, who would have listened?

Not I, sirs, not I.