Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Wire

Most of you know that I'm perennially behind the times when it comes to the great teevee that's been shown over at the Home Box Office. One huge gap in my knowledge is finally being filled...I speak of the fluffed-by-critics, bluzz-receiving show The Wire. I'm three episodes in and I'm already beginning to see what everyone's talking about--foundations are being laid for some pretty satisfying studies in character. I've been told that The Wire gets a lot of Big Picture things right--crime, municipal politics, employment, education--and that the show gets braver and more searing as time goes on. Well, I hope that all the critics that routinely shit their pants over this show are even half right.

And how about this McNulty fellow? Something tells me he's likely to become something of a connoisseur of the Charm City shit sandwich, n'est-ce pas?

3 comments:

Robson said...

My God, how I envy you, watching this stuff unfold for the first time. I'm not even gonna tell you what you (and McNulty)(and really, everyone else) all have in store...

Season 4'll be out on disc early December, meaning you could theoretically be all caught up in time for the fifth and final season in January.

Amy said...

I'm so happy you're finally getting into The Wire. It's so hard to sell people on it -- so much critical acclaim makes it sounds like eating your spinach. But for all the existential despair it's also one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. And just smart as hell. It's ruined me for all other TV dramas -- even The Sopranos now feels about as subtle and deep as an episode of Desperate Housewives.

Sean Robertson said...

Having spend some time in Baltimore (my BF lives there), I can tell you it's also a fairly accurate portrayal of the city. :-/

Only thing missing is the new mayor who actually looks like she could be one of the crack addicts on the show (she sho ain't pretty!).