- Yeah, yeah: Cherkis can't write.
- WE. WILL. BE. INVINCIBLE!
- Donald Rumsfeld knocks my friend off the street.
- By the way, Laura Sessions Stepp is pretty awful.
- The best letter sent to the City Paper, ever.
- OMG! TCBY!
- Romney is a cock-blocker.
- Thank you, Adrian Fenty.
- RIP, Goulet.
- Werewolf Bar Mitzvah!
Monday, December 31, 2007
- Dick Cheney writes a letter.
- A noted coprophile takes his leave.
- And he can take his mythology with him.
- Here's all you need to know about Andrew Keen.
- ...and they vote.
- And to think Norman Mailer died this year.
- Dissidents and diffidents.
- Welcome our new hot media overlords.
- Fuck lions!
- Bye bye Gonzo!
- Oh boy! Time for some GRAY RAPE!
- Everything has always been going to hell in Iraq.
- Best card ever!
- City Paper slapfight!
- MY CHILDREN EXPECT THIS MOVIE.
- Scooter Libby is spared! What a partial birth abortion of justice!
- Mountain Lions!
- Astronaut Sex!!!
- Park Your Boat Carefully.
- Kate Winslet was running through my mind.
- President Bush makes a little girls cry.
- Another couple of shitty City Paper cover stories.
- Bad film criticism, abortion edition.
- What my iPod said about me.
- KIDS LOVE THE FUCKING!
- We liveblog the YouTube debate.
- Capital Hill Hotties everybody!
- Hey, Columbia Heights. SHUT THE FUCK UP WHY NOT?
- Oceans of Mitt Romney's porn.
- City Paper: SO MUCH CLASS AND COURAGE!
- The unseen power of Chris Lehane.
- Ugh. Laura Sessions Stepp.
- The Cold Comfort of the Cato Institute.
- Eric Alterman is kind of a douchebag.
- The new surgeon general is going to make it hard on us sodomy fanatics.
- Everyone who has ever done or is still doing crack knowing Marion Barry.
- The Rules of Richmond.
- Plastic Bag Man amuses Arlington when he means to be terrorizing it.
- Secret Service Nicknames.
- Our advice to the Youth of America.
- Fred Thompson is boring the crap out us already.
- America's candidates come pre-unsatisfying.
- The Gaggledouchecyclepocalypse!
- LOLcats meets R. Kelly meets Frost/Nixon.
- She was born Sekula.
- The biggest jokes in indie rock.
- God love him, but John Edwards shouldn't be running for President.
- Thanks to Catherine for the Arcade Fire hookup.
- Thanks to Satan for claiming Jerry Falwell at last.
- Thanks to Saddle Creek for brightening up their Oberstian lineup.
- The epic story of how I ended up in Dunn Loring, half asleep, with a deaf woman and no taxicabs.
- Bye-bye Wolfie!
- I'm going to guess that this is what me and The G. want most from 2008.
- 365 Days/365 Plays.
- Meme Roth is a fucking moron.
And on Eat The Press.
- Will Magazines About Blogging Become the New New Dancing About Architecture?
- One Small Step for a Celebrity Infant, One Giant Leap Backwards for Our Overall Sense of Perspective
- Some Media Fixtures Still Don't Quite Understand Satire
- The Factor: Where Always is Heard a Disparaging Word
- 20/20 Palfrey Reveal Expected to Lack Both Steak and Sizzle
- Pacific Overtures: Murdoch Formally Requests Tasteful, Candlelit Make-Out Session with Bancrofts, Will Bring Shiraz.
- Newseum Re-Opening Thrills Newspaper Owned By Newseum Donor
- Call it a Hunch, But We Have The Funny Feeling Jack Shafer is Against Murdoch's DJ Bid.
- India to U.S. Media: "We in Ur Webz, Replacin Ur Punditz!"
- Someone Still Loves You, Mitt Romney
- Special Topics in Couric Calamity Physics
- Blogola Blends Bling, Blandishment for Blast of Blogger Blab.
- Times Sets the Stage for the Big Book Review Letdown
- Yeah, That's Some Very Kinky News! The Kind You Don't Bring Home to Moth-ahhh!
- Reframing Murdoch
- Army of Crimson Editors to Defeat Persians at Thermopylae
- Jezebel: a Gawker Blog of One's Own.
- This Is My NO! American Idol Reaches Its Hack Epiphany.
- Murdoch, Bancrofts Continue to Offer a Pointed Demonstration of Inertia
Oh hai. So, while over the weekend and under the weather (sorry Saturday Night partying bloggers!) I officially became the last person in America to view the Sopranos series finale. I thought it was pretty excellent, frankly. And I'm not going to belabor the point. Clearly: the man got whacked.
Vaguely related: In other news of entertainments about unstoppable bleakness, my wife and I saw I Am Legend, and we continue the the gender-based divergence on liking it or not. She hated it because the dog died. I liked it, but the movie's attempt at theology - God and butterflies - was not just superfluous, but really incredibly stupid. Other than that, I thought it was great.
Saturday, December 29, 2007
Time again for that emptiest of blogger exercises: the Albums of the Year list. Well, it's fun for me, anyway. These are the fifty records I enjoyed the most this year. Hope you enjoyed what you enjoyed just as much.
49. Thurston Moore, Trees Outside The Academy
48. The New Pornographers, Challengers
47. Jose Gonzalez, In Our Nature
46. The Cribs, Men's Needs, Women's Needs, Whatever
45. Charlotte Gainsbourg, 5.55
44. Cloud Cult, The Meaning of 8
43. The Dexateens, Hardwire Healing
42. Wheat, Everyday I Said a Prayer for Kathy and Made a One Inch Square
41. Busdriver, Roadkillovercoat
40. Bracken, We Know About The Need
39. Rufus Wainwright, Release The Stars
38. Justice, †
37. Tegan and Sara, The Con
36. Nellie McKay, Obligatory Villagers
35. The Dirty Projectors, Rise Above
34. Le Loup, The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations' Millennium General Assembly
33. Bottom of the Hudson, Fantastic Hawk
32. Jens Lekman, Night Falls Over Kortedala
31. The Eames Era, Heroes and Sheroes
30. Ghostface Killah, The Big Doe Rehab
29. Andrew Bird, Armchair Apocrypha
28. Youth Group, Casino Twilight Dogs
27. Feist, The Reminder
26. Patrick Wolf, The Magic Position
25. John Vanderslice, Emerald City
24. Common, Finding Forever
23. Radiohead, In Rainbows
22. Ryan Adams, Easy Tiger
21. The Broken West, I Can't Go On, I'll Go On
20. Pela, Anytown Graffiti
19. Voxtrot, s/t
18. Cary Brothers, Who You Are
17. Of Montreal, Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
16. Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
15. Arcade Fire, Neon Bible
14. Les Savy Fav, Let's Stay Friends
13. Maximo Park, Our Earthly Pleasures
12. El-P, I'll Sleep When You're Dead
11. Georgie James, Places
10. The Shins, Wincing The Night Away
9. Buffalo Tom, Three Easy Pieces
8. Washington Social Club, Bigger Than Your Boyfriend
7. The National, Boxer
6. Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
5. Stars, In Our Bedroom After The War
4. M.I.A., Kala
3. Okkervil River, The Stage Names
2. Editors, An End Has A Start
1. Kings of Leon, Because Of The Times