Monday, February 25, 2008

Academy Award Post-Mortem

This being a year in which I had largely failed to see most of the nominated movies (I've renewed my vow to do better this year), I had very few dogs in the hunt. Happily, I got the two wins I really wanted. First, Marion Cotillard won for La Vie En Rose, which I endorse to the fullest possible degree. And Cotillard was adorable tonight. Keep away from her, Scientologists! Second, I wanted Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova to win for best song, which their song "Falling Slowly" is, and which did. And kudos to Jon Stewart for getting Irglova some time back to address the audience after they were initially played off.

Other than that, I sort of got skunked in my Oscar pool, which is sort of what you expect when you don't go to many movies during the year. I correctly guessed Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor and Actress, Best Supporting Actor, Best Foreign Language Film (The Counterfeiters seemed the most Holocausty), Art Direction, Makeup, Score, Song, Animated and Live Action Short, Sound Editing and Mixing, and Diablo Cody.

I wanted Amy Ryan to win because I am a Beadie Russell fan, but I wasn't surprised that Tilda Swinton won instead. She will go home tonight and fuck both of the men she's currently living with/fucking. I picked No End In Sight to win best Documentary, clearly forgetting that Yglesias would lead a late surge of support to Taxi to the Dark Side. The Golden Compass beat out Transformers, so I guess it was a good year for atheism and a bad year for Satan/Michael Bay. No Country For Hal Holbrook. Interestingly, American actors were entirely shut out of the awards (they went to Cotillard, Bardem, Day-Lewis, and Swinton)...I don't know when the last time that happened was.

Oh, and, as expected, Heath Ledger won the Final Applause During the Death Montage, and Norbit won the Academy Award for Racism. All in all, a good night. I look forward to seeing most of these movies sometime around 2011.

No comments: