Saturday, February 09, 2008


So I guess I didn't realize that Barack Obama went to Punahou School in Hawaii. Everyone I've ever met from Hawaii went to Punahou! It's a little strange, don't you think? Similarly, everyone I have ever met from Delaware is either a male who went to Salesianum School or a female who went to the Ursuline Academy in the same city. It's a little weird, isn't it? Look: if you are from DE or HI and didn't attend one of these schools, introduce yourself to me. I hate for my experiences with people to be so limited.


Kama'aina said...

You're on the business end of a self-selecting sample. If you went to Punahou, you're relatively well-off and more likely to move out East. If you're less affluent, you're more likely to stay out West where there are more Hawaiian expat communities and flights home are cheaper. At the lower rungs, you're more likely to not go anywhere and stay in the Aina, where the weather's nice and you can watch your intellectual life slowly evaporate.

Anonymous said...

check out the book PUNAHOU BLUES for the inside scoop on the school: includes chapters "the drug club," "killahaole day," and "the fight of the century."
the underbelly of this elite private school is exposed.