Thursday, March 27, 2008

Changes In C-ville

I had no idea that the powers that be had demolished the old Beta House down on JPA. What fraternity will Courtenay residents rush now? I kid, I kid. I don't have a lot invested in the place. It's part of an interesting quirk of UVa. history, and it did play a part of one of the more hilariously inept moments of my life in Charlottesville: at one point, I accidentally locked two friends of mine out of their apartment in the snow (I came by to visit, the door was open, no one was in, and, concerned, I locked the door. Naturally, they were outside, snowball fighting, sans keys). So, I had to track down their third roommate and get her key. The search led me to Beta, where the problem was solved, though not without me having to sit through a long and weepy conversation with another girl I knew.

That was some digression! What I was going to say, is that the news that Fry's Spring Service Station may be closing - now that's sad! I haven't been down there in a long time, so I've no idea as to what's changed on my old street. I wonder if our shitty Chinese food restaurant, Yuan Ho is still there! Yuan Ho was effing crazy. They delivered, but the speed at which they delivered their food did not relate in any way to the space-time continuum. It was insanely fast. The only explanation was that they had paranormal foreknowledge of what their customers wanted and had it ready to go before you called.

True story. I was once at the Student Activities Building when I called the Ho for some delivery. After I hung up the phone, I thought to myself, "You know, it's really nice out, the Ho is five minutes away. I'll just walk down there and bring it back." So I left, and I got there in just a few minutes. But when I walked in the door, Mr. Yuan Ho's wife saw me and said, "What are you doing here? He's already left!"

It occurs to me that there is almost no way that any of you are even remotely interested in this.

4 comments:

Amanda P. said...

Hey, I'm interested - but only 'cause Tom and I live here. ;) Lots of changes are going on down here, most of them of the gentrification, yuppie fucktard variety.

The Ho is still around. for a lazy girl living in Tuttle drunk on Snapple and Aristocrat vodka, there was no better hangover prevention.

PK said...

Jason - the eldest sister of our man in Atlanta is going to be working in that new building.

Now, I may just be a simple gentrifying yuppie fucktard

(and honestly - gentrifying CHARLOTTESVILLE? Are you kidding? It's not exactly Baltimore... is there any place a person with a white-collar job can move to these days without being accused of "gentrifying" it?)

but there's a lot of exciting stuff going on down here these days, like this and this!

divine ms k said...

Ahhh, good times. I do know the Yuan Ho is still there, as is Marvin the Hick (aka 7-Day Junior), scene of many an illegal underage Boones Farm purchase ("Look at my ass... is there a wallet in it?").

Amy said...

I, for one, am fascinated. A, I had no idea they had torn down the Beta House; and B, I hadn't set eyes on that place in 20 years, and never by daylight, so the photos were great. Sad story. If only the preservationists had pointed out that this house was the mantle-diving nexis of greater Charlottesville, they might have won the day.