Sunday, April 06, 2008

Bring Back The Tree House

I have to say, I had no idea that being allowed the choice of an Alderman Road dormitory or a McCormick Road dormitory as incoming first years had gotten to the point where students were segregating themselves. As the Hook says:

UVA has stepped in to ban the self-segregation that inaugurates college careers by randomizing the dormitories of incoming students, who have long been given the choice of McCormick Road (old dorms) and Alderman Road (new dorms). The former were typically chosen by white fraternity/sorority-track students while the latter were often the choice of African Americans, international students, and others preferring a more modern suite arrangement.

Wow. A lot has changed. Back when I lived in the first-year dormitories, there wasn't this sort of separation. People chose the McCormick Road dorms because they wanted to have a classic, dorm-style experience. And people chose the Alderman Road dorms because they didn't want to live in a fucking dump for a year.

4 comments:

Robson said...

>>People chose the McCormick Road dorms because they wanted to have a classic, dorm-style experience. And people chose the Alderman Road dorms because they didn't want to live in a fucking dump for a year.

DING DING DING! Something about the description of the McCormick Road dorms just read oh hell no.

Man, my roommate aside, I loved Tuttle.

Tom said...

You kids and your "university." Try slugging it out for four years in the dorms at a "mid-major" (or ... "and where is that" school) in Baltimore. Then we'll talk ;)

divine ms k said...

Hells yeah I knew someone who lived in Maupin. Dated a guy who lived there, AND hooked up with his RA. No, not simultaneously. :)

Good times, man. Good times.

But I tell you, I would have been some kind of pissed to randomly be assigned to old dorms. Better a dorm that aspires to the design aesthetic of a HoJo's than a sorostitute-laden* dump.

*Awfully hypocritical of me, no? Heh.

amanda p said...

I was all about New dorms - I knew they had bigger rooms. Holla.

Hey, I lived in Tuttle too - good times.