Monday, April 14, 2008

Twenty/Twenty Vision

This week's A/V club has a nice conversation starter: "Too Much Too Soon: 20 respectable rock and rap acts that peaked with debut albums." I respect most of the choices. Obviously, I'm of the minority opinion that Room On Fire, while marred by less-than-ideal production, was the superior Strokes album. Also: a much stronger case can be made in re: Wu-Tang Clan than with Biggie. I worked at the record store for the releases of Wu-Tang Forever and Life After Death and we played the hell out of the latter.

If it were up to me, I might suggest the following as more compelling candidates: Air, Stone Roses, The Farm, Liz Phair, Interpol. Oh! And the solo career of Belinda Carlisle, obvs! Not many! Above all, this list makes me think of The La's. They don't make this list, obviously, because they never followed up on their debut (or haven't yet, the Wikipedia intimates that the band may be competing with Chinese Democracy in the category of long-awaited record whose release may finally be in sight) with material that was comparatively inferior - just the taut, nearly flawless pop debut and bang, gone. I can't think of another band with just a single release I'd insist be put in the Pantheon, but The La's are definitely one.

No comments: