Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Audacity Of Dopes: Gas Tax Takes A Holiday

Like everyone else, I was taken aback when I heard Hillary Clinton say this in response to the widespread - and by "widespread" I mean "total" - lack of expert support for the stupid "gas tax holiday" that she and John McCain now support:

“I’m not going to put in my lot with economists...Elite opinion is always on the side of doing things that really disadvantages the vast majority of Americans.”

Explain to me then, Hillary, why you've had this hard-on for touting your "35 years of experience?" If, in 35 years, you haven't formed any "elite opinions" or "expertise," then what is the fucking point? And how does this statement square with the fact that Joe Stiglitz, whose "elite opinions" and "expertise" helped to create the economic boom you and your husband brag on as the defining quality of the Clinton administration, is against the "gas tax holiday?" (A note on that link: I have no idea why it's titled "Economists for the gas tax" when all of the people named are against it, other than to say that it's from the Politico, and, you know, caveat emptor.)

Between this, and obliterating Iran, and her new crazy idea of putting the clamps on OPEC, you'd have to say that Clinton has got some interesting ideas about how to achieve energy independence. They're not serious ideas, but they're certainly interesting.

I have more on the "gas tax holiday" stupidity here.

1 comment:

PK said...

They are FOR the tax... AGAINST the "holiday". Too many negatives, just like the campaign itself.