Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"Donnie's not in (the new film) but there are meteorites and rabbits."

Yikes. Because I am one of the five people who enjoyed Southland Tales, dear friend Amanda (who appears to have perhaps been a member of an Estrogen Brigade at one point!) was kind enough to warn me that some idiots are planning a sequel to Richard Kelly's best known movie, Donnie Darko, despite the fact that DD could not have ended with a greater degree of finality. The sequel will star Daveigh Chase (who I want to say is best known from playing the creepy girl who didn't own a blow dryer and chose to wage her evil, wet-haired revenge upon the world through a magical and cursed videocassette from The Ring) as Donnie's sister, Samantha, who is on a "creepy road trip," and, as the title of this post mentions, there are rabbits and meteorites. But no Richard Kelly, who has got nothing to do with this.

Kelly is actually working on a movie, due out this year, adapted from a Richard Matheson story titled "Button, Button," that he's promised will make much more sense than Southland Tales. Just for fun, I'm including this YouTube of my favorite scene from Southland Tales, where Pilot Abilene (played by Justin Timberlake) dances around Arcade Fire (yes, named for the Canadian band) in a bloody shirt whilst lip-syncing "All The Things I've Done" as costumed nurses dance a Busby Berkeley burlesque on the skee-ball games. The scene is sort of apropos of nothing in particular that's going on in the movie, though I could explain the strange look of realization that comes over his face toward the end if you have forty-five minutes to kill (both of these things account for why I am only one of five extant fans of this universally hated movie).

2 comments:

Tom said...

I still haven't seen it, but it was calling to me from the wall of Hollywood Video two weekends ago...

Will said...

It was awesome