Monday, August 04, 2008

We Have The Facts And We're Voting Da.

On Founders Day 1993, UVa. hosted Mikhail Gorbachev, and he was treated to this awful piece of crap twelve-tone composition written for the University Singers, filled with mind-numbing runs of recitative that even the Singers' director sort of gave up on, telling his charges that there were whole stretches where it just didn't matter what note they sang. I remember watching it at home on TV, and I couldn't help thinking, "Where, oh where, is the glorious piece of world-class Russian heavy metal that this august occasion and this great leader of men deserves?" As it turns out, that tune has arrived. Via Panopticist, here's the astounding video for ANJ's "Gorbachov."



GORBACHOV: THE MUSIC VIDEO - BIGGER AND RUSSIANER from Tom Stern on Vimeo.

5 comments:

Peter Orvetti said...

Must... crush... capitalism.

Anonymous said...

wow, I had forgotten all about that. "When in the course. Of human events. It becomes NE-CE-SAR-REE." Awful. I was in coro virginia--I guess both groups sang it?

The Deceiver said...

AHH. Coro and not the U. Singers. I think my memory is playing tricks on me.

ggreeneva said...

Ah, man -- 'we hold these truths' is now searing my brain. Most. Mind-numbing. Convocation. EVER. [Right up until when George Allen preached the virtues of abolishing parole at my graduation speech.]

Tim Jarrett said...

Heh. I was in the Glee Club then, and was initially slightly jealous about the Gorbachev thing. Then I heard about Judith Shatin's piece and decided that, after all, singing on the Today Show and for Bill Clinton wasn't too bad.