Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Tina Fey in Vanity Fair

Even though Maureen Dowd's approach to interviewing Tina Fey frequently achieves the trademarked high level of shallowness that Dowd is known for, I'm very excited to see Fey get the Vanity Fair cover, if for no other reason than the fact that it finally puts to bed the Story of the Scar. People are very, very interested in that, for some reason. I cannot tell you how many times it's come to pass that someone finds out that I knew Fey in passing at UVa and they ask, straightaway, about the scar. I'm always very honest about it - I tell people that I honestly do not remember if I had ever had a conversation about it with her. My instincts tell me I might have, but my memory contains no recollection. What usually happens next is that the person gets pissed off at me for not knowing and remembering this detail! This has always flummoxed me: I mean, we're talking about someone who I barely knew back in 1992! There wasn't a moment where Tina Fey cautioned me: "Jason! In about a decade, I am going to be crazy famous! Whatever you do, do not forget the exacting details of our handful of interactions." To me, she was just a student who graduated and went to DePaul for grad school, I think.

Anyway, Vanity Fair has relieved me of that burden. Now I can tell people to watch 30 Rock and root for the Fey I do remember: a very funny, very modest, very warm-hearted person, who as far as I can recall, worked very diligently and never let anyone down. I think those memories are rather nice, and shall suffice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that Ms. Fey is, or at least was, just as I imagine her. Decent and funny. I appreciate the confirmation.