Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Next Nerd-Culture Frontier

So, the frontier that is Watchmen has been reached. And an abundance of riches is coming down the line: Trek reboot from JJ Abrams, X-Men Origins starting with Wolverine but not likely ending there, another Iron Man, an Avengers flick, a Battlestar prequel series...

And yet, I wonder what the next Watchmen level event will be? For me, I'd love to see a filmed adaptation of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens. I'd also love to see, one day, some Stormwatch/The Authority on the big screen, but I suspect I'm in the minority there.

Oh, and Preacher, also, obvs. But that script's been passed around between HBO and Columbia and is so deep in development hell that I'm not sure even Sam Mendes, who's the current director attached, can get it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With all of the movies you mentioned, this could definitely be the cinematic Year of the Geek. I second Stormwatch/Authority and Preacher, and would like to add the ultimate Alan Moore deconstruction of the superhero: Miracleman.